POL 300 Complete Discussions Pack Latest-Strayer
POL 300 Complete Discussions Pack Latest-Strayer
POL 300 Week 1 DQ Latest-Strayer
“Idealism vs. Realism in International Politics” Please respond to the following:
Roskin and Berry allude to the tendency toward idealism in international politics before WWII ended in 1945, but the tendency toward realism after that year.
- Explain what the authors mean by “idealism” and “realism” in international politics.
- Characterize the differences between the world before 1945 and the world after that year with respect to international relations.
- Explain the causes of the transition (from idealism to realism).
POL 300 Week 2 DQ Latest-Strayer
“America in Vietnam” Please respond to the following:
The Vietnam War was a counterinsurgency that involved us in guerilla warfare that was similar, in some ways, to what we face in Afghanistan today. But the way the Vietnam War was conducted was considered to be immoral and unjust by many.
- Describe the prevailing arguments of what constitutes a “just war,” and assess the justice of the Vietnam War in that context.
- Speculate on how the world would be different today if the U.S. had not become involved in Vietnam.
POL 300 Week 3 DQ Latest-Strayer
“The Collapse of the Soviet Union” Please respond to the following:
Roskin discusses three theories about causes of the collapse of the Soviet Union.
- Choose one of these theories and explain how it relates to the collapse of the USSR, and assess and justify whether it relates to its internal or external foreign policy.
- Discuss whether all three of the causes are equally at fault, or whether one, more than the other, is the basic culprit of the demise of the USSR.
POL 300 Week 4 DQ Latest-Strayer
“The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict” Please respond to the following:
For thousands of years, up to the 20th century, the land of Palestine was a homeland for Christians, Jews, and Muslims. In the 20th century, the British got involved in the Middle East in several ways, culminating in the attempt to make Palestine a “Homeland” for European Jews to go to. Based on the e-Activity and Roskin Chapter 8 for this week:
- Hypothesize on what reasons exist for feeling hopeful about the future of the conflict. If there is no reason to feel hopeful, explain why.
- Speculate on the probable future of the dispute based on your readings in Roskin and your familiarity with current events.
POL 300 Week 5 DQ Latest-Strayer
“Egypt in Turmoil” Please respond to the following:
- Explain the causes of the turmoil in Egypt in early 2011.
- Elaborate on at least two perspectives on the situation.
- Appraise the prospects for the Muslim brotherhood in Egypt now that that country is in turmoil.
POL 300 Week 6 DQ Latest-Strayer
“Turning to a Market Economy” Please respond to the following:
Many developing countries in the “Global South” turned to socialism in the past as a means to solve their economic problems. Now, in the light of the evident failure of socialism, many of these countries seek to create fast growth through the establishment of “market economies.”
- Using the country you researched in the e-Activity, identify which of the five market economy policies the country appears to be following. Explain how you reached this conclusion.
- Speculate about the likelihood of success of achieving a prosperous market economy for the country you researched.
- Explain which of the policies is most effective and least effective for the country you researched? Provide a rationale with your answer.
POL 300 Week 7 DQ Latest-Strayer
“National Security” Please respond to the following:
- Select any two of the four basic strategies used to preserve security. Identify and describe what assumptions are made about the opponent according to each of the two strategies you chose.
- Give an example of each of the two strategies in current world politics and speculate on their effectiveness.
POL 300 Week 8 DQ Latest-Strayer
“Coping with Terrorism” Please respond to the following:
- Is the United States making progress in reducing or preventing terrorism? Explain your answer.
- If the United States is NOT making progress, what would have to happen to make the efforts against terrorism more effective?
- If the United States IS making progress, to what do you attribute this success?
POL 300 Week 9 DQ Latest-Strayer
“The Rise of China” Please respond to the following:
- Describe the principal effects of China’s increasing prosperity on U.S./China relations.
- Is the rise of China a good thing or a bad thing for the U.S.? Explain your answer.
POL 300 Week 10 DQ Latest-Strayer
“International Law” Please respond to the following:
- Propose why the United States is not on board with all of the efforts, tribunals, courts, and declarations of international law. Give an example.
- Give your opinion: Do you trust that international law is impartial? Why or why not?
POL 300 Week 11 DQ Latest-Strayer
“Course Wrap-up” Please respond to the following:
- Describe briefly what you have learned in this course.
- Explain how this course has affected your outlook or perspective on world events.