CRJ 205 The Pennsylvania Prison System
APA Format. 2-3 Pages long and less than a 17% simularity score. College paper
Corrections: Past and Present
2-3 pages View objectives for this assignment Go To:
- Assignment Details
- Learning Materials
- Reading Assignment
This assignment is the Common Assignment Looking for tutoring?Go to Smarthinking
Collapse All|Expand All
Assignment Details Assignment Description
Please note that you are required to support your views by citing your sources in all assignments. Even if the question asks for your opinion, you are still expected to support your opinion with references to published works and other materials. APA format is necessary for your assignments when citing references, and assistance on how to do so is available using the APA Citation Center.
- Choose “Library” from the top navigation bar.
- Choose “APA Citation Center” from the left navigation bar.
- Click “Example Sources.”
- Scroll down, and click “APA Documentation.”
For more information on citing your sources, please click on the “About this Course” link in the classroom.
Since your graduation from the AIU Online Campus, you have decided to pursue a career in corrections. After going through the application process for 16 months, you have been hired as a Federal Correctional Officer in your home state; it is very unusual for someone to graduate and then go directly into federal service. The warden likes to pick recent graduates and new hires to give classes to fellow guards so they will have the latest teachings from the universities. The warden, Ms. Sarah Jones, has asked you to give such a class on the below listed topics and questions; however, she first wants you to write a paper of 2–3 pages for her review so she can see what the class will entail.
Warden Jones gives you the following principles and questions:
One of the first prison systems was called the Pennsylvania System. The ideology of this system was used in the Eastern State Penitentiary in the early 1800s. This system had very definite ideas on how a prison should be organized and managed. The operation of this prison was based on the following 5 general principles (Clear, Cole, & Reisig, 2006):
- Do not treat prisoners harshly, but instruct them that hard and selective forms of suffering could change their lives.
- Solitary confinement will prevent further corruption.
- Offenders should reflect on their transgressions and repent.
- Solitary confinement is considered punishment.
- Solitary confinement is economical.
Discuss the following:
- Who actually formed these ideas?
- Expand upon the ideas of the 5 general principles.
- Why do you think they were implemented?
- How did they have an effect upon the prisoners?
- Has this basically changed? Why or why not?
Clear, T. R., Cole, G. F., & Reisig, M. D. (2006). American corrections. (7th ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
This assignment will be assessed using additional criteria provided here.
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.