ART 205 What is the definition of beauty
What is the definition of beauty? Is there such a definition? Or does each of us have his own explication? Maybe a person that I think is beautiful, somebody else considers ugly. You can find defects on a person that maybe don’t exist, or somebody may consider himself, ugly for no reason. A person may be too tall or too short, too thin or too fat. Everyone sees beauty from different perspectives, as Umberto Eco says “beauty and ugly are related to different cultures, and depending on the historical period”. In the American Heritage Dictionary, beauty is defined as “the quality that gives pleasure to the mind or senses and is associated with such properties as harmony of form or color, excellence of artistry, truthfulness, and originality.”
After viewing the documentary “Taboo: Beauty”, PPT uploaded to the assignment “Documentary Essay” and thinking about what beauty is within your primary culture, you are to discuss one or more of the following questions. You do not have to discuss all of them. They are simply a starting point if you have writers block.
- How does American Culture define “beauty” for men and women?
- What are some typical “beauty” ideas about men and women within your community?
- What is considered not beautiful within your cultural community?
- Where do these ideas originate?
- How has advertising affected the perception of American beauty?
- And any other thoughts you may have about what beauty means within your culture.